Thursday, August 23, 2012

I Double Dog Dare You...

OK, so Margaret Heffernan didn't go that far with her "Dare to Disagree" Ted.com podcast. She does, however, challenge us to go against our natural instinct to avoid conflict and learn how to engage in healthy disagreements so that we may continue making forward progress.

As SCC gets ready to launch its long-range planning process Sept. 4, all I have to say is right on, Ms. Heffernan. Right on.

I hope you will invest the 12 minutes and 56 seconds. Not just for the sake of our planning process but for the sake of maintaining organizations and societies that choose to think. Her examples are thought-provoking, her comments are encouraging, and her warnings are warranted. It is her reasoning behind why we all should find the courage to breakout of our comfort zones, though, that inspired me to pass the link along.

Still not intrigued? What if I told you she has a killer accent?

If you listen and disagree, write a comment. That is, of course, the whole point.

“Margaret Heffernan: Dare to disagree” podcast http://www.ted.com/talks/margaret_heffernan_dare_to_disagree.html
Filmed June 2012, posted August 2012, TEDGlobal 2012

1 comment:

1. I watched the podcast. I love the wonderful counter-intuitive nature of much of Ms. Heffernan's message. Sometimes it is indeed a best effort to prove someone or something wrong that leads to acceptance of new ways of seeing.

ReplyDelete